Monday, April 16, 2007

NOVA

A woman collapsed in one of our (Capella's) bathrooms today. Working next to the bathrooms as we do (I work in the produce department, otherwise known as "those people who work over by the bathrooms"), I noticed that we were having a sudden backup at the restrooms, and thought that one of the locks had malfunctioned-it wouldn't be the first time. So after knocking on the door and getting no response, I called for a manager. When they opened the door, she'd collapsed against it and they immediately called 911. The next 10 minutes were a blur of activity, as we blocked the thoroughfare and cleared the way for the paramedics. When they pulled her out and laid her on the floor, she was pale and had blood running from her mouth. We had two new people training today-they took it kinda hard. I took it kind of hard. It's not what you expect to deal with, not just working with fruits and vegetables all day.

I've been coming to something, working my way to something lately. Let's say it's complicated, and leave it at that, but I want to do something new. For years now, I've been spending two hours a week telling my stories, hearing the stories of other men, and talking about them. I"m good at it, both ways, and I think I want to do it regular. It's a hard thing to say-a treacherous thing, inside. I've been wary of it, working my way around it in my head, and I think I'm ready for it. But I'm scared, scared of myself. All I can have are the right reasons, I just have to figure out what they are.

No comments: