Monday, April 30, 2007

I am the finest turnip in all the land; some men call me arugula; I am Czar of all Mangos.

Unsurprising revelation #38 in this blog-I'm political. Not necessarily ideological, but I enjoy the political process both as entertainment (Molly Ivins called politics the best form of free entertainment ever invented) and a bit like a miner watches his canary. There are the occasional practical benefits.

At the same time, after years of paying attention, taking an interest, tuning in, holding forth, and otherwise immuring myself in this bullshit-I've find myself angry. I don't feel good about that, honestly. I think that even as a secular humanist left-wing ersatz democrat, I respect the rights of the right wing. I don't need to think my particular views are the correct ones, just mine. But there's a difference between disagreeing with someone else, and being disgusted with the sheer lack of imagination at the top. Something tells me these people aren't born...they're decanted.

Seriously-I watched the democratic debate and the closest we got to unusual were the two guys who we know aren't going to win. And last night, on 60 minutes (I got very little time for 60 minutes-between all that bloviating and Andy Rooney, I usually just change the channel. Lord please take Andy Rooney soon! Who am I kidding, Christ and the Devil'd both give him back.) George Tenet spent almost 40 of that precious 60 rationalizing his performance at the CIA.

"Are these people gonna have a nuclear capability? This confers superpower status on a networked organization that is not a state. Is it gonna happen?"(In reference to Al-Qaeda getting the bomb)

Anyone who could say the above with a straight face and believe...honest-to-god believe that words like "capability" or, god help me "superpower status" are even applicable in this particular situation...words fail me, they really do. I'm tired of old, rich, fat white guys running everything. I call for a moratorium-100 years of the poor, the female, and the off-white in charge. I'd relish the change of pace, if nothing else.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What, exactly, is wrong with the word capability in this context? Is it that they would surely use any nuclear weapons almost as soon as they acquired them? I'm with you on the super power thing, but the idea that any fairly sophisticated terrorist organization might obtain nuclear weapons is not that far-fetched.