Sunday, August 16, 2009

Themeless

There's a big whiteboard in the breakroom at work. For notes and such. A coworker of mine had been having trouble with his apron being stolen. So he took advantage of the whiteboard, left a note about his trouble. He wrote, in big purple letters...

Stop taking aprons that don't belong to you!

That's fine, right? Nice, to the point. And it had been up for about a day before I decided to adulterate it slightly. I erased "taking" and wrote "the", ending up with...

Stop the aprons that don't belong to you!

Which is also fine, right? It's the sort of thing I'd do at work-I did it quickly, casually, at the start of my day. Because that's what I'd do at work. Out in the world at large too. I make a little trouble. Every pantheon needs a coyote.

Wasn't me, stealing his apron. In case you were wondering.

When I came back later that day, someone else had been at it. They'd made drastic changes. They'd erased all of "that don't belong to you" and had changed "stop" and "aprons". And there was a whole new preamble. The end result was...

Is there no Stopping the Aarons?

Oh. Oh my.

I don't doubt that the rest of you talk/think about me when I'm not there. It must happen. It's still lovely when I get to see the proof.


4 comments:

sigmund jones said...

that's cause everyone that knows anything knows that you cause most of the mischief that happens at capella. oh, how i miss the mischief ...

Epiphenita said...

For the record, there is no stopping the Arions or the Arans either.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your blog with me! -the curly-haired Romanian chick

Usman Awais said...

Architectural consultants in Dubai
Architecture firms in Dubai